23/01/2007

Such a Sweet Tale

I was reading (seriously, that's twice in one month lol) an article in the Barbados Nation News today that made me smile and I thought I'd share!

Basically it was about a Husband, 100 and Wife, 97 who have been married for a whopping 73 years! Their secret? They've never argued a day in their life! :o) Can you imagine??
They first met while working as labourers at a Plantation and were married on Christmas Eve back in 1933.....
"All I can tell you is our secret was loving one another. We didn't have any arguments; no fighting; no quarrelling; and we didn't leave each other. We kept like that from the first day up until today," said Ma as she is called by everyone.
"From the first time I saw her, I knew I loved her. We courted for a little bit before we got married. And though it was the custom back then, I didn't have to ask permission from her mother or father," said Pa who has a remarkable memory for a man his age.

Hahaha, Derek can barely remember what he did yesterday never mind 73 years ago!!

This part made me giggle - When it was time to pose for pictures. Pa jumped at the opportunity to plant a kiss on his wife's cheeks and was happy to accommodate when the photographer asked for a few retakes. Heehee.

They had 8 children and Pa worked until he was 70 years old - phenomenal! And they have a wealth of knowledge ~ staggering for a combined age of almost 200 years! :oO

And when asked if they were still in love after all these years, they affirmatively responded.
"Oh, yes," said Pa emphatically.
"Yes, yes, yes! Praise the Lord!" Ma chimed in.

Apart from being a nice story, I also learned that they used to use shillings in Barbados ~ I didn't know that!

No comments: